Sunday, July 19, 2009

Yarny Goodness: Works in Progress

After promising knitting pix months and months ago, and not really delivering, I've finally got some! Okay, first up is the Embossed Leaves socks. The green is actually much deeper in real life--it reminds me of the deep, dark forest. This is Malabrigo sock yarn, and I love it. One sock is finished, and the other is barely begun.



This next one is a shawl called Queen Anne's Lace. I love the pattern, but I'm just not sure about the yarn. Although the individual colours are gorgeous by themselves, it reads as a sort of barfy orange, and this particular vareigated yarn is not thrilling me with this pattern. The yarn is Dream in Color Baby in the Flamingo Pie colourway.




This is the Rippling Rainbow shawl from the book "A Gathering of Lace". It is actually finished now, and was a birthday present for Little Mouse. She adores it, and it turned out so well, I am making another one for me, only I'm using hand-dyed yarns (dyed myself in my crockpot) for the rainbow colours.


Here's my first yarn ever, spun on a Schacht Hi-Lo spindle. I really like spinning--it's very relaxing, and I'm seeing improvement every time I sit down with the spindle. Eventually I'd like to be able to spin lace weight yarn, but as you can see from the picture, I'm not even close!



Here are the hand dyed yarns I'm using for my Rainbow shawl. I tried several times to get a red that I liked, but everything I was able to achieve was either too orange or too pink, so I am using the same red I used in Little Mouse's shawl, which is Knit Picks Palette, in Pimento. I'm also using their Palette yarn in Black for the main part of the shawl.




So that's what I've been up to lately! With all these fun new hobbies, summer is going by really fast (which is a good thing!).

5 comments:

Borderline Lil said...

Just looking at these amazing textures and colours is therapeutic for me, so I can imagine how wonderful it is to work with them! Gorgeous stuff.

Jazz said...

It is amazing...I love how the yarn feels moving through my fingers. Once you get in the zone, knitting can be extremely meditative (except when I'm cursing my way through a complicated lace pattern!). And spinning on the spindle is just the coolest thing...you take fluffy fibre and turn it into yarn the same way people have been doing it for millenia. There's something in that that really appeals to me.

sbwrites said...

I didn't know you were posting again, but decided to drop by just in case. These photographs of your knitting are awesome! How impressive is this?

And, of course, I read the quote about the toothbrushes. What can I say? Yikes!

Jazz said...

Hi, Susan! Yeah, I'm around a bit...not as much as I used to be...the bipolar stuff is kind of history now, and I'm getting on with life...this may turn into a knit blog, we'll see! Right now I'm pretty busy with kids/summer, and I just don't have the desire to write like I used to. Don't know what's up with that, but I'm having fun with all the fibery stuff, so I'm going with it for now and not worrying about the writing so much. I guess if it wants to come back it will. I have to wonder sometimes how much of it was aspartame induced!

soulful sepulcher said...

I love how you dyed your own yarn, very cool!