Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Waiting for Someone

I am waiting for someone.

I know he's out there. I have a vague picture of him in my mind, and some restless ideas about who he is and what he wants. But he hasn't shown himself yet, nor has he spoken to me.

"He" is the main character of my next novel. He doesn't have a name yet, or a story, but I have that sense that someone is out there, lurking on the edges of my mind, waiting for the right moment to leap in and demand that his story be told.

Once he shows himself, my life will change. His story will consume my thoughts and my dreams, and I will write on fire to get it told until it's done. Floors will gather even more dog hair than they have now (anyone who tells you huskies don't shed is lying through their teeth), dishes will pile up in the sink, and bathrooms will become...unmentionable. Er...more unmentionable.

It's probably the knitting that has brought this on. For those of you who don't knit, I've found it to be a lot like crochet in the sense that it can be a meditative experience. Once I know what I'm doing, my hands sort of take over and the creative part of my mind goes wandering off into unexplored territory.

Which is all well and good if I actually feel like I want to write a novel, but right now I don't. A novel takes a lot of work and time and energy, and I don't feel like I have that much to give right now. And I don't like the feeling of this restless, creative tension coiled up inside me. It feels like the air before a summer storm, dark and brooding, and full of energy.

Whoever this guy is, I hope he shows up soon...I'd like to give him a piece of my mind; a much smaller piece than he'll get if I decide to tell his story. I could use a good argument right about now. I'll just tell him to go bother some other writer and leave me alone.

Yeah. Like that's ever worked before.

Writing Prompt: This is how I look at my process. What does your creative process look like?

15 comments:

Monica Cassani said...

my creative process is a total mystery to me. I can't even really write about it...

It comes and goes and I seem to have no control over it...it also is not always the same...

I now talk about having an "editorial gut," too...since not everything I write about on my blog is original---my editorial gut tells me when to post something...I don't understand that either...I just trust it...

Jazz said...

Gianna,
What I think is really fascinating about the arts is that everyone's process is different...and you're right--a lot of that process is pretty mysterious.

sbwrites said...

Dear Jazz,
I guess because I was a grant writer for so many years and worked on a deadline, I view blogging in the same way.

I usually post five days a week, and write my posts every night before I go to bed.

In terms of what I'm write about, things just happen in life that I feel I want to discuss or people comment on topics that I think will generate an interesting discussion.

Since I don't write fiction, I never wait for my characters to speak to me. But when I did add quasi-fictional characters to my memoir, I used to dream about them every night and I would wake up knowing what to write.

Susan

susan said...

It sounds like you are describing your muse.

I always write better when I write for a muse......I don't know who he is either, but I guess he would be my Prince Charming, my white knight- someone who would appreciate me for me and love the words I put on paper or on my blog.


I will most likely not ever meet him in this lifetime, but it makes me feel good to think out of 6 billion people in this world, he may be out there somewhere.

(the other Susan)

Radagast said...

Hmmm. His name's David, and he's a gardener. He's not impressive to look at: a bit short, at 5'8", disshevelled hair of indeterminate colour, regular features, but nothing special; that kind of thing. But he has a gaze that convinces you that he's reading your mind.

Matt

Jazz said...

Matt--
*gasp*
How ever did you know?

Jazz said...

Susan (Wellness Writer)--
I think all my self-discipline got used up in grad school! I've never been able to write on a schedule. Journaling, yes, but my fiction comes from some dark, mysterious place that moves to its own rhythms. I'm just the typist, usually!

Jazz said...

Susan (the other Susan)--
That's a scary thought...that he may actually be out there somewhere...I've a feeling he may have a few choice words for me, too!

Radagast said...

LOL. Well, I doubt her name's David, I don't know whether she's got that look in her eye, but someone approaching that physical description was cutting the grass on the village green earlier on, on the day I posted that!

Matt

Jazz said...

Matt,
Well, if my muse is off cutting the grass in your village, perhaps that explains why I've been unable to write anything worth reading lately!

Radagast said...

OK, next time I see her, I'll be sure to let her know that you're missing her! Although, I would like to know how the green's going to get cut, from then on?

Matt

Jazz said...

Matt,
You know, well manicured lawns are highly overrated...

Radagast said...

Oh, BTW: creative process. Chaotic, by most people's estimation, I should think. An idea presents itself that interests me, in some way. If I want to develop it, I seek to understand a few key elements, in order to lend some authenticity, and then I make some shit up, to fill the gaps. Like "David," for example!

Matt

Radagast said...

Oh, and then I stick in something out of leftfield, to make it original, if possible.

Matt

Jazz said...

Matt,
The "out of left field" stuff is the most fun to make up, don't ya think?